Packard was founded by James Ward Packard, his brother William Doud Packard and their partner, George Lewis Weiss, in the city of Warren, Ohio. James Ward Packard believed that they could build a better horseless carriage than the Winton cars owned by Weiss (an important Winton stockholder) and, being himself a mechanical engineer, had some ideas for improvement on the designs of current automobiles.
In September, 1900, the “Ohio Automobile Company” was founded as the manufacturer, while the cars were always sold as Packards. Since these automobiles quickly gained an excellent reputation, and there were more automobile makers that produced or at least planned to under the label “Ohio”, the name was soon changed. On October 13, 1902, it became the Packard Motor Car Company. By 1958, Packard closed its doors in Michigan. Although, there are still many concept cars around today.